It's coming up for eighteen months now since we moved in to our house and while, little by little, we're slowing getting each room to how we want it to be, one thing which we've not really paid much attention to is the lighting. In fact, in most rooms, we still have the same cheap and cheerful lights and lampshades which we bought merely to have something hanging to rent the property out. The trouble is, I don't really know what I want. And lighting, to me, is something that finishes a room so I'm reluctant to choose anything until we're in the final stages of decorating. And if you follow me on Instagram, you'll know that wallpaper and paint colours are often on my mind but making that final decision? It's proving to be tricky. So the key lighting will just have to wait that little bit longer.
But lovely lamps? That's a whole different story. Table lamps, bedside lamps, desk lamps ... I love them all. And I'm more than happy to find a room ... any room ... for them, decorating finished or not. Take the Terrace Table Lamp (£50) from BHS, I think it could fit in any room. It looks lovely in my living room below, but I think it would be absolutely perfect for a children's room (where it's going to end up when my boys start to share a bedroom in September). My eldest already has plans for it to go on his shelf and dreams for it to be a nighttime home for his little superhero characters. Personally, I think it would make the most wonderful Christmas village surrounded by holly and baubles, so will be stealing it back come December.
I also adore the single House Table Lamp (£20). It will sit perfectly on my son's bedside table (and no doubt become home to even more superheroes).
But I think it would also look nice sat on a window sill or shelf. It's as much an ornament or decoration as a light.
Spending quite a bit of time on the BHS website to choose these lights was quite a revelation. Not only is the lighting amazing (and there's up to 50 percent off in the lighting event running right now) but I stumbled across all manner of quirky pieces that I would love to find a place for in my home. Here's some of my top picks:
1. 5d framed print - £30
2. Bridge Across The River print - £22
3. 2d framed print - £30
4. Jones red retro tornado wall clock - £20 (I absolutely adore this - it's top of my 'must buy' list).
5. Paola pendant light - currently reduced from £50 to £40
6. Lightning bolt marquee light - £95
7. Light grey waffle fleece - currently reduced from £20 to £15 (you can never have too many blankets in your home, especially ones as cosy as this).
8. Tracy lamp table - currently reduced from £199 to £35.10 (this would make a great 'occasional' table to move around your home wherever you wish to take your tea and cake on any given day).
9. Ombre pattern knitted cushion - £20
10. House light - currently reduced from £40 to £19.99 (and bang on trend!).
11. Metallic stripe curtain - from £21
Don't be surprised if you see the clock and blanket featuring in future photographs from around my home. I have my finger poised, ready to click on 'add to basket'. I've been so impressed by not only the lighting at BHS, but by all off the home furnishings and accessories. If you haven't popped in to the store for a while or looked online, I'd definitely encourage you to do so.
Disclaimer: BHS kindly offered my a choice from their lighting range in exchange for featuring it on The Ordinary Lovely. All choices and words are my own and are entirely honest.