Miss me? I was planning to write this post last night but then Sherlock happened. And when Sherlock happens it's virtually impossible for anything else to happen at the same time. Did you see it? What did you think? I enjoyed it but craved a bit more Moriarty.
So how was Christmas and New Year for you? Have you packed your tree away yet or are you like me and still desperately hanging on to those twinkly lights for a few more days? I'm beginning to think that twinkly lights should have a permanent place in our home. And maybe the odd bauble, too. Why we strip our houses of all the wonderfully colourful and sparkly decorations just as we enter the dullest, most miserable season of the year, I don't know. It seems wrong, somehow.
Back in December, I talked about a monthly to-do list come photo project that I wanted to start in 2016. Well, this post is that very start. It's an attempt to combine my love of lists with a wish to capture the seasonal changes happening right before my eyes. I'm going to start each month by sharing a few fun goals for the coming weeks and some photographs from the stretch of woods close to where I live. The goals are not necessarily resolutions. In fact, they're not resolutions at all. They're things that I'd like to try, to accomplish, or spend my spare time attempting. They're mostly ordinary, but they're also very lovely. Hang on ... ordinary? lovely? There's a cool name for a blog in there somewhere ;)
Here's my to-do list for January ...
- There will be no dieting or dryness in this house over the coming weeks. I subscribe to Olive magazine and in this month's edition, there's the most mouth-watering recipe for a bulgogi cheese steak sandwich. Oh. My. Wow. This, I have to attempt. If you buy the magazine, it's on page 50 but this version looks quite similar. I'm a burger and beer type of girl normally, but as my brother bought me a bottle of Chase Blackcurrant Liqueur for Christmas, I'm going to serve my steak sandwiches with this blackcurrant mojito. I've not tried a blackcurrant version before but it sounds divine.
- Sticking with the anti-diet theme, a new burger restaurant opened in Chester recently and I am dying to check it out. Chester is a city with many lovely restaurants but an amazing burger place? Sadly, I've yet to find one. It's called Burger Shed41 and I have high hopes as it's owned by the same team who run my favourite pizza restaurant, Urbano32. January is my month to check it out!
- I could combine my visit with a sewing course that my youngest brother bought me for Christmas. It's at a delightful homewares shop called The Palace Darling which is situated just over the bridge from the centre of Chester, in Handbridge. He's booked me on the beginners course later this month and I can't wait. I actually completed my second ever sewing project over Christmas which I'll share in a few days. If you follow me on Instagram, you'll have had a sneaky peek.
- Heading back indoors, I have both the December and January editions of The Simple Things magazine to study. It's such a beautiful magazine, best enjoyed snuggled under a blanket with a cup of coffee in hand. And, wouldn't you know it, I have another post coming up in a week or so to inspire you to do just that.
- Around the home, taking down the Christmas decorations will allow me to find the perfect place for a couple of new prints that I bought recently. One of them is an amazing typography print that is basically my life's motto. Once I've figured out where to put it, I'll share a bit of an interiors update with you. Maybe it's time for another #shelfie post. What do you think?
- My littlest dude turns three in January and his one request for a gift is a party bag. Yes, a party bag. I'm sure he doesn't mean an empty bag so I think I'll put together the birthday equivalent of a Christmas stocking for him. I have plain white party bags stored away somewhere and I've been sent a Cricut Explore One to review so I'm going to get my craft on and see what I can create if I put both together. Stay tuned!
- And then there's my bittersweet January task ... I need to apply for my littlest's nursery place at the local school. I'm fifty percent looking forward to having a few hours a week for myself for the first time in what will be six years come September and fifty percent distraught at the thought of my 'baby' starting school. I think it's going to be an emotional summer.
It's quite a fun to-do list, isn't it? A bit nicer than dieting and no-drink resolutions. Let's not completely suck the soul out of January, right? I'm not planning to write a monthly 'how did I get on versus the list' post but if any of the projects/recipes/restaurants turn out amazing, I'll let you know.
And I'll leave you with my January photographs. They were taken on probably the only sunny morning that we had over Christmas. So sunny that lens flare was pretty much unavoidable. But I quite like them. The BRAVE sweatshirt that I'm wearing in the final photo is from Southwood Stores and is my new favourite. Super soft, super comfortable, super cool and with a wide neckline that is beyond difficult to find. I love it!
Happy January! Fingers crossed it's a great month.